Apples

Tuesday, October 25, 2011


We have two apple trees in our new back yard. I had decided when we moved in that I wouldn't let the apples go to waste - I was up to the challenge of processing the apples. I had never juiced or canned, and I was a little overwhelmed. I relied on my Mom to share her juicing and jelly-making skills and her equipment to get the job done. With the apples I made: juice used to make about 24 12oz jars and 12 8oz of jelly, apple sauce, apple pie, and apple turnovers. Everything turned out really well which is a dang good thing. Processing big quantities of food is a lot of work!

A few tips for first time apple juicer:
1. Be prepared to be patient - it takes some time
2. Do not let the water in the juicer run out or let the water boil over - messy
3. Do not put whole apples in the juicer - cut them up first

Yes, I made all the above mistakes. I hope all my family, friends, and neighbors like apple jelly because they may be receiving it as a gift in the near feature. I anticipate becoming an apple processing pro each fall now that I'm a apple tree owner. I'm not sure I'm exactly excited about that or not.  

1 comments:

Heidi George said...

GOOD JOB!! What a super go getter!!! I've been wanting an apple tree! Lots of work, but oh so yummy results!!! I have alot to learn! Hope every year of apple harvest goes great for you!!!