Family Mission Statement

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I was required to read The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families by Stephen Covey for one of my college courses. After reading the book and taking the class, I learned the value of creating a family mission statement. Bob and I have written a family mission statement, and I recently got a cute magnet board to display our mission statement. We slowly developed our mission statement during a series of Family Home Evening lessons. I think that our mission statement will always be a work in progress and will evolve as our family grows and changes. I think that having a family mission statement provides the opportunity for families to solidify their purpose and goals which may help to improve determination and accountability.

Stephen Covey says that "... a family mission statement is a combined, unified expression from all family members of what your family is all about and the principles you choose to govern your family life". To start your own mission statement, visit
http://www.franklincovey.com/tc/resources/view/msb
(click on "view").

This is simply an idea that I thought was worth sharing. I do highly recommend The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families. Give it a try!




9 comments:

Carrie said...

What a great idea, and I love the board that it is displayed on, very cute!!

Kathryn said...

What a super cute idea. I really like it. I liked the scripture shared too.

Tracy said...

I'm impressed!! How'd you get so smart?!;-) Love the board!!
Love Ya!

Jill Asay said...

What a cute idea! Where did you get that board from. I'm looking for one for my mom?

Brook said...

That is a great idea! I love that board too! That book sounds good!I'll have to check it out.

Destiny said...

What a good idea! I've read that book and I agree, it's great. Are you guys going to be home for Thanksgiving or Christmas? If so, we should get together.

Nick & Lindi said...

Hey... I swear I already left a comment on this post but I guess not. I LOVE this idea and what a creative way to display in your home. Very CUTE!! love you

Greg Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg Becky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.